CJ Bourbeau

Applied Arts teacher Ralph Arabian cutting a plank of wood on a table saw. Arabian will be teaching a new class called Hands-On Engineering.

Hands-On Engineering

Hands-On Engineering will be a new Applied Arts and Technology elective available to all grades for Honors credit in the 2022-2023 school year.

This project-based class will teach the skills and knowledge required to be an engineer with an interactive approach, rather than primarily focusing on formulas or math. Students will have the opportunity to explore the topics of engineering in an active way. During the class, students will design and build a variety of projects, ranging from simple machines to complex robots and hovercrafts. 

“The class won’t be bogged down with all of the mathematics-side of engineering,” Applied Arts and Technology teacher Ralph Arabian said. “Kids will learn by [building] projects first.” 

With very few written assignments, Hands-on Engineering is a student-centered course that highlights the real-world applications of engineering. Arabian emphasizes the importance of teamwork and an enriching class atmosphere.

“[Hands-on Engineering] will be a course like no other,” Arabian said. “It’s going to be about the fun and exciting parts of engineering.”

$1501
$2000