Courtesy Michelle Sheppard

Art teacher Michelle Sheppard is staring a new elective course next year for publication-based graphic design.

Graphic Design for Publications

Graphic Design for Publications will be a new elective available to all students for Honors credit in the 2022-2023 school year.

Using computer software such as Adobe InDesign and Adobe Creative Suite, students will learn how to create visually appealing layouts for posters, magazines, newspapers and more. Skills like typography and graphic design will ultimately help students arrange readable publications.

“It’s really important to know how to visually organize information,” art teacher Michelle Sheppard said. “It’s also important to learn how to take a complex idea and have it make sense [to readers].”

In addition, while it is not required, students will have the opportunity to contribute to school publications, including Sachem Magazine and The Harbinger. Sheppard believes that the skills learned in Graphic Design for Publications can be utilized outside of the class as well.

“After taking this class, [students] will get compliments on their skills in anything that they have to make visually appealing, whether that’s making a slideshow or a poster,” Sheppard said. “They will really get to refine their skills on making things look good.

$1501
$2000