Annabella Ferraiuolo

New Applied Arts and Technology teacher John French switched into teaching after many years in the construction industry.

Applied Arts and Technology: John French

New Applied Arts & Technology teacher John French hopes to use his experiences in many fields to inspire his students.

French began teaching drafting, computer-aided drafting and woodworking at Algonquin this year and he loves the work. French did not always work in education; he stumbled upon it after he was no longer able to work in construction, which he had been doing for many years, because of health issues.

“I ended up in education when the surgeons told me that I could no longer do the construction type of work that I was doing,” French said. “One of my professors [from construction supervisor school] said ‘Geez you’ve got all of these different experiences, have you ever thought about teaching tech?’”

When he is not working, French does anything and everything. Currently, he is learning how to be a blacksmith and a Luthier, someone who builds and restores wood instruments. He also enjoys woodworking as a hobby. 

“There’s really very little that I don’t do outside of work,” French said.

French’s friend of thirty years, Brian Marpole, was not surprised that he decided to go into education. French helped him install hardwood flooring, so Marpole knows he is a hard worker.

“He is an incredibly smart man, and he can just do so much,” Marpole said.

The best part of the job for French is watching students explore woodworking and realize all of the things they can do with wood.

“Most of [the students] fall in love enough with what they’re doing where they start producing something beautiful,” French said.

French says the biggest challenge to his job is teaching everyone despite their differences.

“[The biggest challenge is] being able to develop a relationship of trust, no matter what the cultural or personal differences are…I think I do extremely well with it,” French said.

Hoping to expand Algonquin’s woodworking program, French wants to make the woodshop a place where kids can work hard with low stress.

“I want this to be a space that kids can come in and give up their anger… and find a zen,” French said. 

$1340
$1500