• March 26The Spring Choral Concert will take place on April 9 in the auditorium.

• March 26Unscheduled Night will take place on Thursday, April 11.

• March 26April break will begin on Monday, April 15 and conclude on Friday, April 19.

It’s a boy! It’s a girl! No, it’s a car!

Naming cars fuels creativity, attachment to cars

Larissa Andrade and Riley Garand

The next time you pull into the parking lot, you will most likely see Pete, Timothy, Coco, Gertrude, Ragnar and even Betty White, but you may not even realize it. These aren’t people, but the Toyotas, Jeeps, Hondas and other vehicles filling the parking lots. There may be more to the cars that the eye can see and there’s a possibility the car might have the same name as you.

Senior Matteo Calavanese drives Debbie, senior Sophie Scearbo takes a ride in Gertrude each morning and senior Julie Edson zooms into school every day with Phillip.

“It is absolutely necessary to name your car,” senior Kevin Coupe, who named his 2007 Subaru Outback The Trap Wagon, said. “It’s something you drive around every day; naming your car creates a connection.”

Several other seniors name their cars simply because it’s a fun and personal experience.

Senior Erin Blake named her 2007 Nissan Pathfinder not because it was something dear to her, but because it makes the car hers.

“My car’s name is Ragnar,” Blake said. “[Ragnar] was a famous viking king and I had to pay tribute to him.”

Senior Evan Scott has a 2006 Ford F-350 and agrees that naming your car is important.

“It personalizes [your car],” Scott said. “I named my car Bruce after the shark in Finding Nemo because it’s a big car.”

Although some car names pay homage to famous people and characters, others have less significant meaning.

“The paint color is a bronze color, and I looked at it and I was like ‘Hank’,” senior Olivia Reilly said about her 2014 Toyota Rav Four.

“I named my car Charles,” senior Aaron Nodoushani said. “I love my car.”

Although his car is unnamed now, English teacher Seth Czarnecki thinks naming cars can have a positive impact. In fact, when he was in high school his 1996 Nissan 200sx fluctuated between the names Green Machine and Teal Mobile.

“[Naming your car] might make you treat your car with more respect and take care of it, and if that’s what it takes, name away,” Czarnecki said. “It’s for people who have a real attachment to their car.”

Social studies teacher Gina Johnston understands having an intense attachment to an automobile.

“[Your car is] like your child; you take care of it,” Johnston said. “I did cry when I got rid of my first car (2002 Toyota Corolla) because I was sad to see it go.”

Although some people believe that naming cars gives it life, others are opposed to the idea of giving an object a name.

“Everyone has a car, it doesn’t need a name,” physical education teacher Andrew Kinney said. “Personally I don’t really care that much to name my car. I’ll name my pet or my kid, but not a car.”

Overall, the debate surrounding naming ones car differentiates from person to person.

“It makes a statement of the vibe that comes with driving your car,” Edson said. “Whether that be a cute old lady name or a name that represents blasting music, [it represents] having a good time with your friends.”