Tenacious Tina talks awareness, life lessons: Tina Millar, Custodian

Q: Tell me about an average day in your life here at Algonquin

A: Well my day starts off with me coming in around eight and reviewing the computer work- what events we have or if we have any emails that need to be addressed throughout the building. I am the courier for the superintendent’s office so I bring the mail back and forth from here to Southborough. I then come back and check in with all my coworkers to see if they need any help and I do a lot of cleaning up. I basically go and triage and make sure areas are clean- check the bathrooms for any messes and bring supplies to different areas. I do the in house mail as well which means when packages are delivered, I record what comes in the building then I bring it to the designated place. Other than that I do a lot of running around and helping kids with stuck lockers and gym area when they need it.

Q: Where in the school do you find yourself spending most of your time? Do you have a designated area?

A: I would say I am everywhere throughout the building. It actually depends on the time of year and I try to keep track of that through the online calendar.

Q: What would you say is the best part of your day? Or something you look forward to?

A: I would say the interactions I have with students throughout the day. Not only the conversations and the smiling and the waving, but I love allowing a student to help me fix something or show me how do something because I can learn from them and they can learn from me. It’s awesome to see a student, or a young adult, work with someone who maintains the building along with tapping in and saying “hey I could help with that”. I’ve learned a lot from you kids, it’s really cool.

Q: What would you say is the least favorite part of your day?

A: I would say when students make wrong judgments.  Even though we are a maintenance department, if we do see something that is not right, we have to go and report it. And that’s a tough thing. I don’t like having to report careless, silly mistakes. I want students to be more aware their actions. It’s more of self-respect issue I guess.

Q: What can the student body do to make your job easier?

A: I would say just have personal awareness of your space and the area around you. Like if you go into a bathroom and see a total disaster, just let someone know because we try to keep this school as clean as possible. Little things like that. I will say though you guys are great, I cannot begin to tell you how good of a job you do.