Tri-M this honor society on for size

From the coveted National Honors Society to the prestigious honor roll and principal’s list, Algonquin students are chasing titles all through their four years at the Gonk.

Unfortunately, there is an honors program often overlooked: the Tri-M Music Honor Society. Established as an honor society opportunity for music students in junior high and high school, Tri-M offers a prestigious title for serious students wishing to further pursue music through their academic career.

“The students discover ways that they can become the movers and shakers of life both in school and in their community,” said Tri-M advisor, music teacher Katharine Waters.

Requirements for pledging into Tri-M may seem daunting to new hopeful inductees, but members of the honor society count their services as rewarding and important to their community.

“Students must first fill out an application. Our chapter advisors then make the decision as to whether or not they can be accepted into Tri-M,” said president senior Linnea Henningson. “Once the applicants receive their answers, they‘re required to attend an induction ceremony where they must perform a piece of music that they previously rehearsed.”

This year’s induction ceremony took place on January 8 in the auditorium. The inductees were pledged in and were rewarded with an official Tri-M pin and certificate. At graduation they will be given a pink cord to wear over their robes to show they are graduating with honor.

“I thought it would be nice to use my passion for music to help the community,” said new inductee, senior Casey Cabral. “It’s great to be part of something that does a lot of good for other people.”

In order to become a part of Tri-M the student must be a part of one of the Algonquin music programs. Promising inductees must also perform three acts of community service, as well as attend some sort of musical performance as an audience member.

“If you are thinking about becoming a part of Tri-M then I say go for it!” said senior Thea Hickey, vice president of Tri-M. “You won’t regret being part of one of the best groups at Algonquin.”