Volunteering opportunities abound

Lend a helping hand during the holidays

Volunteering is one of the good things Santa notices when he checks his list twice, and there are a plethora of volunteer opportunities at school.

Math teacher Eileen Palmer, the Community Action Program adviser, said that the holidays are a great time to “give back to others [who are] less fortunate.”

The key to holiday volunteering is to do it consistently during the year as well, not just when hanging up the red and green lights.

The Community Action Program, or CAP, is one club out of many that organizes volunteering sessions at senior centers as well as at children and family centers.

“[CAP] takes care of helping mentor young kids that don’t have a perfect home situation,” Palmer said.

Senior Connor O’Shea, the Student Council President, suggests Peer Mentoring and Best Buddies, as well as donating time at the local food pantry as great volunteer opportunities.

“Algonquin has a history of offering support to everyone in the community,” O’Shea said.

Algonquin Gives Back is a newly re-founded club that offers volunteering at many places, such as the local seior center where the club will be holding a holiday party.

“Everybody’s welcome,” the presidents of Algonquin Gives Back, Sophomore Natalie Finn and sophomore Samantha Kirk, said.

Palmer said, “Counting your blessings and realizing how much you or everybody has,” might be some great ways to motivate student to volunteer this snowy season.

At churches, there are typically beautifully decorated Christmas trees, covered in paper shapes or people.  These giving trees have ornaments that specify what a child or young adult in need wants, or even severely needs, for Christmas.

There is also a Student Council sponsored giving tree at school located in the cafeteria.

If students do not have time for scheduled volunteering, Palmer suggests working independently.  She encourages helping an elderly neighbor shovel and salt their driveway or maybe raking their leaves or helping them carry in their groceries.

If you are interested in volunteering, contact math teacher Eileen Palmer.