Tomahawk debate continues: School mascot appropriation or pride?

April 4, 2018

Tomahawk not offensive, brings pride to Algonquin tribe

Over the past few years, several sports teams such as the Washington Redskins have been ridiculed for having racist or upsetting images for their team logo. I do not believe that these teams deserve the heat that they get. These teams and organizations celebrate their mascots, not insult them. Algonquin Regional High School is the perfect example.

We are a very prideful school, with the utmost respect for our maroon and gold colors. We don’t insult the Algonquin Native American tribe that our school resembles, or the tomahawks that represent us as a mascot. Many view it as a form of honor to be a tomahawk, and go to this school. I have not encountered anyone insulted by the Native American origins of our school. It is a symbol of pride, unity and excitement for every student and faculty member that attends Algonquin.

During football season, Algonquin football games are one of the must-go events of the weekend. Everyone looks forward to cheering on the team and screaming, “Let’s go T-hawks!” We look forward to dressing up in whatever the theme is each game to show our pride and unity as a school. Being a tomahawk brings unity to everyone rivaling against other schools in competition between anything. Whether it be sports, DECA or anything in between, it definitely feels good to be the school that all other towns are jealous of. Our mascot and name positively celebrated their tribe.

I am a senior at Algonquin, and I wouldn’t want to go to school anywhere else after experiencing the life of a tomahawk these past four years. I have difficulty placing anything offensive around our mascot. We are not alone in being represented by Native American tribes. Several other local schools such as Wachusett, Nashoba and Tahanto are represented by Native American symbols. All of these schools take pride in their mascots, and none of them insult what represents them. That is why people should find no offense towards our school name and mascot. They are made to represent, promote pride and celebrate, not hate.