New school security wastes resources

I believe that the new security systems at Algonquin are ridiculous and a huge waste of money. Although it’s important to be safe, Algonquin has taken way too much money from its students with fees, permits, and more. It’s ridiculous how students have to give so much money to the school and have no say in what they should use it on. New security cameras and new alarm bells? Really? There have been no incidents in the school so far that have required new security.

Not to mention also that the security systems will not make the school more safe. The alarms at the locker rooms are nothing but a bother for students because they start to ring if the door is left open for more than 30 seconds. No one is going to leave the school doors open for the outside. If anything these alarms should be put in places that don’t have cameras already.The cameras are a good idea but it is clear that no one is monitoring them at all times. They are not there to prevent incidents but rather to see what happened after the incident has occurred. The cameras also hang down from the hallways and could be easily broken, meaning our money was spent for nothing.

From,

Sebastian Royo

Class of 2017