Writing Center to complete branding

DECA, graphic design students collab with Writing Center

Submitted Seth Czarnecki

Graphic design student, senior Kacey Kelley designed this poster to promote the new writing center.

Anna Silver, Assistant A&E Editor

DECA, graphic design students, and the Writing Center tutors came together to find the right branding strategy for Algonquin’s innovative Writing Center, scheduled to open in late November.

The Center, developed by English teachers Seth Czarnecki and Sara Stein, will be a place for students to improve their writing with trained student tutors.

Tutor and junior Merry Qian is closely involved with the Center.

“Our vision for the Writing Center is a warm, friendly environment that is very productive at the same time,” Qian said.

The tutors, DECA members, and the graphic design students are currently collaborating to convey this message to the community, including working on a logo and other advertising projects.

While the process has been challenging at times, Czarnecki is encouraged by the dedication the students involved have to the Center.

“The process has been messy in that we have lots of voices, lots of opinions about where to go with this,” Czarnecki said. “From all of that, though, we are seeing some really good work and a direction for it emerge.”

“We tapped into DECA and Ms. Riley and Mr. Martin, and it was just a natural fit where they would take over the branding [of the Writing Center],” Czarnecki said.
DECA President and junior Jake DeMarco, DECA member and senior Kira Porter, and adviser Cameron Martin are spearheading the marketing strategy which includes advertising and creating a website.

“I was super excited when I heard about the project because in DECA, we’re always working with theoretical cases, but with this, we’re bringing it to life,” DeMarco said.

Art teacher Michelle Shepperd noted that some of her students, like junior Mary Tambascio and sophomore Marcus Severo, are especially involved.

“My students are working on designing a logo right now,” Shepperd said.

The Writing Center will occupy a temporary space in D112 with its own set of Chromebooks and color-coordinated furniture.

The hope is that the Center will eventually become an addition to the library with glass walls where students can receive guidance on their writing assignments from their peers, no matter the subject.

Stein and Czarnecki are incredibly supportive of the students running and developing the Writing Center.

“The Center legitimizes what the kids are doing,” Stein said. “Students are running the show which is also Algonquin’s philosophy.”

“I think the Writing Center embodies everything that education should be,” Czarnecki said. “It uses what the students already know and allows them to act as professionals. It’s a really exciting development.”