CAP graduate Anderson celebrates years at Algonquin, excited for future

CAP program graduate Clara Anderson poses with a best of luck collage at her celebration on September 19 in the cafeteria.

Caroline Beek

CAP program graduate Clara Anderson poses with a “best of luck” collage at her celebration on September 19 in the cafeteria.

Caroline Beek, Staff Writer

After spending the past eight years participating in the CAP program, Clara Anderson was celebrated for her many achievements and for completing the program on September 19.

Principal Tom Mead presented Anderson with a certificate of completion, and teachers, friends, and family congratulated Anderson and watched the slideshow she made for the celebration.

The CAP program provides transitional assistance for special education students after they graduate to adapt and learn skills for the future.

Anderson enjoyed her time in the CAP program after graduating from Algonquin in 2013.

“I liked the CAP program because they are taking me to adulthood,” Anderson said. “It’s not like going into adulthood right away. They helped me with many skills.”

Former special education aide and current culinary arts teacher Zbigniewa Giegucz had the opportunity of first hand witnessing Anderson grow into the person she is today.

“I’ve seen Clara grow as a young lady,” Giegucz said. “She’s gotten more confident in herself, she’s able to do a lot of things, and she has taken on a lot of leadership roles. I think she’s a great kid and I see a great future for her.”

While at Algonquin, Anderson was captain of the unified track team and was an active member of many activities including Best Buddies and Special Olympics.

“Recently she’s been volunteering at Special Olympics of Massachusetts, and Special Olympics has indicated that they want her to continue, not just as a participant, but as an ambassador,” Best Buddies adviser and physics teacher Kevin Hausmann said.

Anderson is known as a social butterfly and is always seen with a smile on her face.

“Clara is the happiest person I have ever met in my entire life,” Laura Yallick, Anderson’s mom, said. “Life for Clara is always awesome.”

Looking forward, Anderson has exciting plans which include continuing to work in the maintenance department at the YMCA, helping out with unified track and Special Olympics, and participating at the Justice Resource Program in Westborough a few days a week.

“I see her staying at the YMCA because she’s really fostered a nice relationship with people there,” Yellick said. “She’s a very community-oriented girl, and this has been her community her entire life. I also see her picking up more hours and doing more things and just really growing.”

Although many friends in attendance shared that they will miss seeing Anderson’s face in school everyday, they are happy for her.

“I liked her; she was amazing, cool, hard working, and an amazing friend,” CAP program member  Will Corwin said.

Anderson indicated that she will miss her peers very much, but the future awaits and she’s ecstatic about it.

“I can’t believe this is the day,” Anderson said.