In boys’ cross country, Brazer improves from last to first

Junior+Noah+Brazer+finishes+strong+in+first+place+with+a+time+of+16+minutes+and+55+seconds+against+Sheppard+Hill.+

Submitted Noah Brazer

Junior Noah Brazer finishes strong in first place with a time of 16 minutes and 55 seconds against Sheppard Hill.

Carey Davis, Online Editor

Junior Noah Brazer earned the slot as Algonquin’s top runner at the boys’ cross country Districts meet, progressing as the sole member of his team onto States.

Brazer crossed the finish line with the time of 16 minutes and 19 seconds on a 2.9 mile course.

“I was very happy; it was my goal this year to qualify for States,” Brazer said. “I was a little disappointed I didn’t get in the top 15.”

Brazer has improved greatly since joining cross country freshman year, moving up from one of the last to finish during both practices and meets to consistently securing first place.

“For the first three weeks of practice, I would finish the workout at least 15 minutes behind the second-to-last person,” Brazer said.

With his immense improvement, Brazer now holds a personal record on the five kilometer home course of 16 minutes and 51 seconds.

Junior Noah Brazer emerges from the woods in a meet against Westborough. He finished in third with a time of 16 minutes and 52 seconds
Submitted Noah Brazer

Brazer credits both head coach Nathaniel Uttaro and assistant coach Conor Brosnan for helping him make it this far.

“[Uttaro’s] definitely pushed me hard during practice and I understand what it’s like to work hard,” Brazer said. “He’s has been good coach and allows me to push myself.”

Brazer hopes to take his coach’s encouragement and apply it to the off-season.

“[Making States] makes me want to try much harder for next year and so my new goal is to make it in the top 15,” Brazer said. “I definitely need to work harder over the summer.”

Despite his success at rising to the top of Algonquin team, Brazer doubts his cross country skills against the fastest runners in the state.

“I don’t think that I will do particularly amazing,” Brazer said. However, he is excited about States and the future of his cross-country career.

“I’m very competitive in general,” Brazer said. “I know what it’s like to be last on the team, and I never want to be last again.”