Scott sets new school cross country record

Junior Maddie Scott came in fourth place at the Midland Wachusset Division League meet on October 24.

Submitted Maddie Scott

Carey Davis, Online Editor

Junior Maddie Scott sprinted to the girls’ cross country school record with a home course time of 19 minutes and 22 seconds, as well as qualifying for States at the Districts meet. Scott competed at States in Westfield with a fellow teammate on Saturday, November 21.

Scott placed eleventh with a time of 19 minutes and nine seconds in the girls’ 2.9 mile race at Districts. She was the first girl from Algonquin to finish.

“I was ecstatic,” Scott said. “I was so happy. All the work I put in during the summer and the season finally paid off.”

Along with the accomplishment of progressing to States, Scott’s five kilometer home course time of 19 minutes and 22 seconds beat previous record-holder Krya Shreeve’s 2013 time of  19 minutes and 29 seconds.

“[Breaking the record] didn’t feel real,” Scott said. “It felt like a dream.”

“All the work I put in during the summer and the season finally paid off.”

— Junior Maddie Scott

Scott worked tirelessly to obtain her goal, having begun racing competitively just last year.

“I’ve always like to run but it wasn’t until the summer of sophomore year that I felt the need to join a team,” Scott said. “I did soccer freshman year and am also on the rugby team.”

Scott said both of her mentors, head coach Brian Kellett and assistant coach Ellen Marieni, have contributed to her success.

“They have both always been so supportive of me,” Scott said. “In a way, they talk about how they have expectations for me, which helps me develop confidence and have expectations for myself.”

Scott is honored to have the opportunity to compete at States. Her goal is to make the list of the top 100 runners.

“I know I’m not going to do that notably well,” Scott said. “But it’s just really getting there, like working so hard throughout the season to get to that point, that makes me happy. That was my goal.”

Scott also looks forward to next season, when she will be captain and focusing on qualifying for States once again. She hopes to further her growth through her high school years and possibly run competitively in college.

“[This experience] is going to make me push myself even harder next year,” Scott said. “It’s a huge confidence boost. It’s something I never thought I’d be able to do.”