Kate Michel

Global Cuisine (CP and Honors)

Global Cuisine, taught by Zbysia Giegucz, will be offered at the Honors and CP level starting in the 2023-2024 school year.

Please describe the new course you will be teaching, including main objectives, projects or focuses. 

“First, we are going to be studying different cultures and cuisines in the U.S., because there are a lot of different cultures here. The United States has different regions like New England, or the Southwest, all containing people from different backgrounds and cultures, which is exactly how the cuisine is. After studying different regions, they are going to be picking their own cuisine. They are going to get an area, have to find some information, and they’re going to pick the meals we create in the class. Then we are going to move onto cultures all over the world. I will give each group a continent and they will pick the country, the cuisine and the meals. They are going to do the research, present it, then we are going to cook the food that the students choose. So I don’t pick what kind of food [we cook], it’s them. Whatever they’re interested in, that is where we go.” 

Why do you think this course is beneficial to have offered at Algonquin?

“Everyone comes from a different background. If students learn about the food and actually prepare it, then they’re going to eat it and appreciate foods from different cultures more. It’s good for us to know what we eat, but it is also good to know what other people eat, why they eat it and to simply experience it. I think it’s a great experience to try different things besides what we are used to.”

Why do you encourage/suggest students take this course? 

“[We] learn about different cultures, different kinds of cooking and to be able to eat. Whatever the students prepare in the class, they eat. They get to take the food with them.”

What are you most looking forward to about teaching this course? 

“The thing I am looking forward to most is watching the students try foods they have never tried before.”

$1340
$1500