Jarod+Villella

Jarod Villella

What do you like best about working as a special education aide?

“I am in the [Community Action Program], so it is mostly post graduates, and what we do is we take them out into the community. Every Friday we pick a new place, for example before vacation we took them to PetSmart and to Dollar Tree, and I find those trips are kind of the most fun part of my job right now.”

What do you do over the course of a day as an aide? 

“It depends on the day, but we start in the morning with “morning work.” We do an assignment in the morning, usually at some point in the day we’ll have a trip, we will usually go to the Special Olympics, then come back and have lunch, and then we have our work for the rest of the day.”

What are the biggest challenges you’ve faced in your job this year?

“At the beginning of the year it was a bit challenging because we were stuck in the classroom the entire time because of the nature of the pandemic, so we couldn’t do our trips immediately.”

What do you think about working at ARHS?

“I think it’s a great school, especially for the special ed program. I feel like we’re a lot more involved with the school; I remember I went to school at Shrewsbury, and I feel like the special ed program was a lot less noticeable there, but it feels more like the students really engage with the special ed students here.”

What do you like to do in your free time?

“My big hobbies right now are a lot of cooking and a lot of video games.”

What would your students be surprised to learn about you?

“I’m a pretty open person, but I guess the fact that I went to college at Virginia Tech, so I’ve been out of the state for 5 years pretty much.” 

$1320
$1500