"Talking in Languages 2.0" by zinjixmaggir is licensed with CC BY-NC 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/

Linguistics and Human Language

Have you ever wondered where the languages we speak came from? What about the role of language in our society? In Linguistics and Human Language (CP or Honors), you will be able to learn about all this and more.

This full-year course, available to grades 10 through 12, is broken down into two parts: Linguistics in the first semester and Human Language in the second. Students may choose to take just one semester or both.

“In Linguistics, students will be learning about the origins of languages around the world,” World Language teacher Emily Squires said. “[They will also] be introduced to the idea of the phonetic alphabet, how languages are broken down and how we document, encode and write new languages. They will learn about the history of English, which everyone always seems very interested in, and they will get into second-language acquisition.”

In the second half of the course, students will explore the role of language outside of the high school classroom.

“In Human Language, we will study how we use language in our society and our daily lives and how technology has influenced how we communicate and share information with each other,” Squires said.

According to Squires, this new course cannot replace the foreign language classes (French, Spanish and Latin).

“This course doesn’t take the place of your consecutive years of a modern language, but it certainly can enhance it,” Squires said. 

Sign up for Linguistics and Human Language to broaden your understanding of language, its origins and its role in society!

$1320
$1500