Disney should add LGBTQ+ representation to help highlight community

Graphic Karmyn Shreeve

Staff Writer Sahana Sivarajan writes that Disney should add an LGBTQ+ prince or princess in order to help aid the discussion parents are having with their kids.

Sahana Sivarajan, Staff Writer

In a whole new world, Disney has been hooking kids for 96 years with Mickey Mouse, princes and princesses. But have you ever wondered if the princes and princesses were to be LGBTQ+?

When asked about the possibility of an LGBTQ+ Disney princess in a Huffington Post Interview, one of the movie directors of Moana, Ron Clements, said that “It seems like the possibilities are pretty open at this point.”

By Disney including an LGBTQ+ prince or princess, it would give parents of children ages 9-12, who are usually attracted more easily with princesses and princes than teens, an easier way to explain being LGBTQ+ to their young ones through the kids seeing them on the big screen.

Parents are usually hesitant when talking about LGBTQ+ to their young kids. With Disney revealing LGBTQ+ princes and princesses, I think it would give parents an easier way to bring that up into a conversation with their kids.

In my opinion, it depends on the type of parents they are. If they are open to the LGBTQ+ community. Then I believe parents would be happy that Disney is exposing their children to the LGBTQ+ community.

Additionally, by Disney exposing the LGBTQ+ community to kids, they will have an easier time of opening up to their parents if they are LGBTQ+. 

It will also expose children to the LGBTQ+ community by letting them know what it is and that it is definitely to be LGBTQ+.

In a national study, 40 percent of transgender adults reported having made a suicide attempt. 92 percent of these individuals reported having attempted suicide before the age of 25. These people don’t feel accepted and that it why suicide is quite high in the LGBTQ+ community. According to the CDC’s 2015 Youth Risk Behavior Survey, 60 percent of LGBQ youth reported being so depressed and hopeless that they stopped doing some of their usual activities. Young LGBTQ+ people have higher rates of depression and don’t feel as accepted as their straight peers. This LGBTQ+ princess or prince representation could help fix some of this.

Freshman Selina Satpathy, who is bisexual, says that, “I would like there to be an LGBTQ+ Disney prince or princess because I think that it would be a nice change from the normal straight prince or princess and I think it would show support for the LGBTQ+ community. In my opinion, I think the impact on children would be positive because although some very young children may not understand what it is, I think some older children will be able to understand that it’s ok to not like the opposite gender and that it’s ok to be different.”

LGBTQ+ representation is a good thing and could have a huge impact, especially on young children and middle schoolers, who might be questioning their own identities.

Being LGBTQ+ isn’t a decision. Straight people don’t decide to be straight and lesbian people don’t decide to be lesbian. Who you’re attracted to is not within your control. That’s why conversion camps don’t work because it’s not a decision but something innate within you. It’s not controllable. It’s chromosomes and science.

Disney has been more inclusive and included all colors as princesses,but not princes or LGBTQ+. It’s important for Disney specifically to have a representation because it’s about time. Kids who are LGBTQ+, I bet, are still waiting for the day that there will be LGBTQ+ princes and princesses on Disney because that is where most of the princesses originated from.

What will they think when all the Disney princes and princesses are straight and that zero of them are LGBTQ+? 

What example is Disney setting for those kids?

In this world where the LGBTQ+ people are still sadly being criticized by the media and the public, an LGBTQ+ prince or princess could change everything.