Home Alone (1990)

If you haven’t seen “Home Alone,” then shame on you!

If you haven’t seen the movie, you have to have seen the iconic movie poster.

This is one movie you can watch over and over, and it never gets old. Macaulay Culkin (yeah, you thought my name was hard to pronounce) plays the role of an eight year old boy, Kevin McCallister, who is left alone at home over winter break by his giant family which leads to all sorts of crazy adventures in his own home when two robbers, Marv Merchants and Harry Lime, discover the child is home alone. Their ridiculous attempts to lure Kevin out of the house and into their hands is quite comical. The movie is all about his Kevin’s survival against these rather unintelligent robbers who overestimate the astute eight year old.

When I first watched this movie as an impressionable six year old, this movie terrified me, and caused me to have a fear of skylights for the rest of my life. I have an irrational fear that two robbers will jump out of nowhere from the skylight while I am standing alone near one. Yes, I know, ridiculous. I’m still afraid, but at least I can watch it and laugh about it now.

The interactions between Kevin and the two robbers throughout the film is gives the movie its timeless charm and is something that can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike. People loved it so much, they decided to make a sequel two years later. Though, I must warn you, the second movie is not as great as the first one, so don’t get too excited.

$1501
$2000