Rehill retires as librarian, looks forward to relaxation

Photo Rebecca Poretsky

Librarian Michelle Rehill checks out after fifteen years

Ben Weber, Assistant News Editor

Librarian Michelle Rehill will be retiring at the end of the school year after working at Algonquin for over a decade.

“I have always had a wonderful working relationship with her,” social studies teacher Kimberly Honey, who will be replacing Rehill as librarian in the fall, said.  “I find her to be witty, funny, and organized. She knows what resources you need for the project you’re working on.”

Along with being a librarian for 15 years, Rehill served as the co-adviser of the Model UN club with Honey. Model UN is a simulation of the real United Nations, where students discuss the current issues and foreign policies of the country assigned to them.

“It’s a testament to her ability to inspire us and move the club forward based on her leadership and I think that it’s something that she should be really proud of,” sophomore Nathan Rhind, a member of Model UN said.

Rehill is praised by students for her selflessness and her eagerness to help others.

“Her willingness to sacrifice time to help students is one of her greatest qualities,” Rhind said. “She’s very selfless in terms of how she spends her time, whether a student needs to check out a book or find something, she’s always there to help.”

Rehill’s positive attitude and helpfulness will be missed by her colleagues and students during her retirement.

“She’s very kind. She’s very knowledgeable about books so it’s a tremendous resource to lose. I’m happy for her, but sad for us,” English teacher Sara Stein said.

Rehill will miss a lot about working at Algonquin, whether it’s helping out students when they need assistance on the computer or checking out a book.

“I’m going to miss the kids,” Rehill said.  “Students make it interesting, and it’s always fun that every day is a little bit different and there’s always something new going on.”

Rehill plans to come back to Algonquin after her retirement to be a substitute teacher once or twice a week along with laying back and relaxing.

“My plans for the future are not to set my alarm clock for an absurdly early time every day,” Rehill said jokingly.