Northborough senior citizens discuss their new memoir with students

Graphic Carey Davis

Authors from the Northborough Senior Center Memoir Group shared writing and storytelling tips with students.

Anna Silver and Anita Nyberg

The Northborough Senior Center Memoir Group visited the reading and writing memoir classes taught by Deborah Saltzman to talk about their book, and to share writing tips and tricks on January 19.

The four senior citizens, Carolyn Squillante, Ruth Anderson, Pravin Trivedi, and Shirley Mollenhauer discussed the book of memoirs the four of them collaborated on along with other contributors, So Many Lives, So Many Stories. There are 36 stories in total and 12 contributing authors. All profits from the book go towards the senior center.

Photo Anita Nyberg
Northborough Senior Center Memoir Group members Pravin Trivedi, Shirley Mollenhauer, Ruth Anderson, and Carolyn Squillante presented their writing tips and process to English teacher Deborah Satlzman’s class.

The group began through a memoir writing class at the senior center.

“We wanted to continue [writing], and we’ve been meeting for about twelve or thirteen years. It’s been such a fun experience,” Anderson said.

The four meet twice a month to brainstorm and share stories.

Mollenhauer likes to put spins on her stories.

“I have a lot of stories, not all of them publishable,” Mollenhauer said with a laugh. “I’ve been writing two stories a month for thirteen years. I’ve got briefcases of writing.”

Trivedi self-published his own books prior to the group’s book, so he was named editor.

“I, by nature, am not a writer; I’m a storyteller,” Trivedi said.

Junior Katie Zieminski asked the group what their favorite part of writing the book was.

“We all had to work together and it drove Pravin straight over the bridge,” Mollenhauer responded, laughing.

“To the young men in here, if you join a memoir group, prepare to be with a bunch of women, not men,” Trivedi replied with a smile.

Anderson explained that the group members talk to each other every day, and when they meet, they read their stories to each other and spark each other’s imaginations.

Squillante described that many of the stories they have shared amongst each other have been sensitive in nature; they have each other’s trust when it comes to creating a welcoming environment.

“It’s hard to write your true feelings, but what happens here stays here [in the group],” Mollenhauer said.

Photo Anita Nyberg
(From left to right) Seniors Rachel Sachs and Eliene Wen and junior Katie Zieminski peruse “So Many Lives, So Many Stories” in reading and writing memoir class.

The Memoir students listened thoughtfully and asked the senior citizens insightful questions. They also shared what their own memoir class does.

“I always think, when I’m writing memoirs, what other people think about the situation, but it’s not their story,” senior Nicole Fenerty responded to the group’s conversation. “I like what you said about that.”

Saltzman was also pleased she was able to plan this special event for her Memoir students.

“I’m so glad it worked out and we set up this meeting,” Saltzman shared with a smile.

The group, as a final piece of advice, told the students to keep writing, even after the memoir class ends.

“Don’t leave anything to memory, write down as many stories as you can while you’re young,” Mollenhauer said.