Football concludes at district finals, celebrates successful season

Photo Rafaela Coelho

Teammates watch the game from the sideline during the home game against St. John’s on October 28.

Emily Smith, Sports Editor

The football team’s historic season came to an end in the CMass District Final game against Shrewsbury this past Saturday, November 12, after a 21-14 loss. The team looks back on their accomplishments this season with pride at how far they have come and the legacy they will be leaving behind.

“I think the coolest thing was that no one expected us to make it this far except for us,” senior captain Ryan Barry said. “We always believed in each other and knew it would all come together at some point.”

The Tomahawks finished the season with a record of 6-4, one of the best results the program has produced in years.

“This was one of the most successful Algonquin football seasons ever and it was great to be a part of it,” senior Chris Skinner said. “Making it to the CMass Final was a great accomplishment, and I’m proud of our team.”

Through thick and thin, these guys never failed to pick each other up and that played a big role in their success.

— Senior Student Manager Kevin O’Leary

A standout achievement of their season was defeating the first placed Wachusett Mountaineers not once, but twice.

The T-hawks defeated Wachusett in the regular season, and delivered the same result when the teams met again in the playoffs. The win sent them through to the CMass Final game.

“We knew all the hard work we put in wasn’t for nothing,” Barry said.

The football program has done marginally better this year than in the past due to the dedication and hard work of the coaches and players.

“Through thick and thin, these guys never failed to pick each other up and that played a big role in their success,” senior student manager Kevin O’Leary said.

The team is celebrating their memories and thanks T-hawk nation for the faithful support throughout the season. The seniors have shown a lot of pride in the legacy they are leaving behind.

“I can say that our team left everything on the field, and it was the most exhilarating feeling to play for T-hawk nation,” senior Alec Looby said.

The football team’s annual Thanksgiving game at Westborough High School will take place at 10:15 a.m. on November 24.