Making football history: First student co-managers O’Leary, Hatton create positive impact on field

Photo Rafaela Coelho

Seniors Kevin Hatton and Kevin O’Leary take a break from their managing duties to pose for a picture on the side line during the home game against St. John’s on October 28.

Drew Despres, Staff Writer

For the first time in Algonquin history, the football team has two student managers. Seniors Kevin O’Leary and Kevin Hatton have strengthened the bond in their friendship through their shared experiences as an essential part of the team.

Unlike the managers of most teams, Hatton and O’Leary were recruited for the position due to their success with the 2015-2016 boys’ hockey team, who made it to the State Championships.

“Kevin [Hatton] and I had the privilege of being the managers of the [boys’] hockey team,” O’Leary said. “Coach Allen saw our hard work and dedication and asked us if we would be a part of the football team.”

During practices and games, O’Leary works on the defensive side of the ball with Allen, which can be challenging at times.

“The hardest part is recording all of Coach Allen’s plays because he does them by hand signals and I’m not always one hundred percent sure of what he is trying to call,” O’Leary said.

O’Leary appreciates the offensive tasks that Hatton is responsible for, and how it allows him to focus on the defense.

“[Hatton] is a hard worker when he shows up to practice,” O’Leary said with a joking laugh. “I don’t have to know the offensive and defensive play calls because he covers the offense and I know the defense.”

“He makes [my job] a lot easier,” O’Leary said.

While O’Leary and Hatton have been helpful with the tactical side of the team, their impact is also felt on an emotional level.

“Not only do we write down the plays, but I think we’re there for support,” Hatton said, “We’re there to hype up the players and the coaches, and to just make things easier.”

The team improved to 5-2 with the help of both Kevins, as it can be seen in their 21-6 victory against the undefeated Wachusett Mountaineers on October 23.

“I believe we can win a lot of games,” Hatton said. “I think [the players] are very capable of doing it. You know they’re a very big family and they put in a lot of hard work.”

Through the hours spent on the sidelines of many Algonquin sports, Hatton and O’Leary have contributed to the success of multiple teams, showing how much a little positive energy can change the dynamic of a team.

“We definitely have developed as friends over time.” O’Leary said. “We spend a lot of time together, sometimes too much, but we grind and it makes us brothers.”