Field hockey shoots past expectations, scores league title

Photo Kelly Slovin

Captain Grace Antino winds up for a powerful shot in a game against Groton Dunstable on October 19, which resulted in a 5-0 win.

Emily Smith, Sports Editor

Field hockey has exceeded expectations this season, winning the Mid Wach A League and finishing their season with a record of 10-2-5.

Due to the graduation of last season’s key offensive and defensive players, Taylor Long and Steph Francalancia, the team was preparing for a rebuilding season. However, with the team’s record, they have surprised even themselves with their accomplishments. Between their new practice and game location at the 9/11 Field in Southborough and strategic team bonding, the team is hoping for a long playoff run.

“I knew we were going to have a good season, but I didn’t know we would do this well,” senior captain Lauren Speranzella said. “As the season goes on we are all growing closer, and it is really helping us play better on the field.”

“We have such a good group of girls this year, and we have improved so much throughout the season,” senior captain Grace Antino said.

Going into his tenth season coaching varsity and fifteenth season overall, coach Dan Welty is extremely proud of the cohesive efforts of the team and their drive to keep improving.

“One big thing this year is they really play as a team,” Welty said. “A real characteristic of our team is everyone pitches in. In our game the other day we scored five goals, each by five different players.”

This year the team relocated their games and practices to play on the turf at the 9/11 Memorial Field in Southborough, which according to players has influenced the team in an unexpectedly positive way.

“The biggest downfall is not being around all the other fall sports practicing, but it is so much better to play on turf for the actual game,” Antino said. “It has brought us all closer because it’s like our own little place to go after school to play our sport.”

The players have found that bonding as a team has helped improve their overall play.

“There is such a positive energy throughout the whole team that really allows us to play really well together,” junior Caroline Riley said.

“I love how we do unique activities for team bonding and it makes us all very close and makes our performance in games better,” sophomore Sophie Scearbo said.

As the team progresses through the season, their accomplishments continue to grow. A season highlight was their 1-0 victory against Shrewsbury on September 28.

“Our biggest win was against Shrewsbury, because we haven’t won on their home field in seven years,” Speranzella said.

The team believes the support of T-hawk nation can really help them on their way to success.

“Come watch our games!” Speranzella said. “It’s a really fun sport to watch if you know what’s going on.”