Boys’ lacrosse perseveres through challenges

Freshman Ric Carreras runs the ball up the field in a game against Westborough on May 27.

Kelly Slovin

Emily Smith, Sports Editor

After closing the season with a 13-6 record, the boys’ lacrosse team fell short in the Central West Division 2 quarter final playoff game against St. John’s, losing 12-4 on June 3.

The team was hoping to go farther into the playoffs, but looks back on their season in an overall positive way.

“When thinking of the season there are many great moments to reflect upon,” coach Matt Nofsinger said. “The boys lead the league for most of the season and ended up earning a league title. In that run, the boys played many tough programs but one of the most rewarding was beating Acton-Boxborough in overtime for the first time in our history.”

“I think this season was really something special. All the kids really clicked together and played as a team for the whole year,” junior Kevin Hatton said.

Early in the playoffs, the team showed resiliency by beating Northampton 5-3 on June 1, restoring their confidence after losing the last four regular season games.

“I think we did pretty good,” junior Zack Skowroneck said. “We lost the last four games of our season but I think that was a good wake up call. We went into the playoffs with a full head of steam.”

Their grueling 18 game schedule brought many challenges such as injuries and tough opponents.

“Every team played us like it was the playoffs and it began to wear us down,” junior Andres Axline said. “At one point, every player on starting defense was injured. We lost our last four games of the season, so I’m glad we could pull out the win against Northampton.”

“We’ve had a lot of heart lately and battled through a lot of injuries, a lot of guys had to step up and it really was a team effort,” junior Ryan Lefebrve said.

Senior captains Mike Martens, Colton King, and Michael Tascione showed their leadership skills throughout the season and really held the team up.

“Mike Martens has not only helped the team with his abilities, but has also had a huge impact on every player individually,” junior Andrew Fierimonte said. “I can’t say I knew him before the season, but as it progressed we all grew to be a family.”

Due to difficult competition, the team had to take their practice and playing to the next level.

“I feel like Jake Kelleher has really stepped up recently. People don’t really realize it because he plays defense, but he never gets beat,” Martens said.

The team stood up for each other through the long season and became more bonded by the challenges they faced.

“I love these guys so much and it’s sad to have the season come to an end,” Axline said. “I’m already thinking about how we can bounce back stronger next year.”

The whole program is looing forward to the future and how they can bounce back next season.

“We are proud of the boys and their accomplishments and are looking forward to what the future brings,” Nofsinger said.