Girls’ tennis plans to ace their season as a team

Photo Henna Dhingra

Reaching for the ball, senior Taylor Long serves against Sutton on April 28.

Caroline Beek, Staff Writer

After finishing off a successful last season, the girls’ tennis team hopes to claim this year’s state championship. With talented returnees and prospective newcomers, the fourteen players have high aspirations.

“This year we hope to beat Shrewsbury, Westborough, Nashoba and Wachusett and to make playoffs,” senior captain Morgan Kreiss said.

Along with Kreiss, freshman Darby Kim, referred to as a standout by many of her teammates, also believes success is on the way.

“Our goal is to get a win against some of the harder teams like Shrewsbury, Westborough, Nashoba, and Wachusett. But also we hope to bond more as a team and play smarter on the court,” Kim said.

In order to reach their goals, the girls trained hard in the off­season.

“Normally, [I train] all year round with the exception of summer,” Kim said.“I play tennis clinics three times a week, take private lessons once every other week, and play tournaments most weekends. Over the summer I try to consistently play whether it be in tennis camps ortournaments.”

Senior captain Taylor Long was also dedicated to remain in shape and preparing for the season.

“I made sure to condition throughout the winter and to get out and hit as much as possible,” Long said.

The team is also excited to grow and bond as they compete and practice together.

“I was a little nervous to participate at first, because getting to know people and starting something new is always a little tough, but the team was extremely welcoming,” Kim said.

Also a new member of the team, junior Megan Zhao is excited to get to know the team.

“Everyone has already been really open and friendly,” Zhao said.

Senior Megan Holmes also believes the team has a good relationship.

“The team vibe is very fun,” Holmes said. “There is no drama and we all like to hang out and joke around.”

As the season progresses, the whole team hopes to win matches and have support along the way.

“It would be great if T­hawk Nation,or at least some fans, could make it out to a match this season,” Long said.