BOOK REVIEW: The Double Blind: Slow yet Chilling Novel

Paige O'Leary, Staff Writer

People always say that you never really get to know someone until you know their deepest darkest secrets. The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian is a mysterious, yet at times comical, novel that touches upon loneliness, grievance and acceptance.

Set in the 21st century, Laurel Estabrook is a sophomore at University of Vermont. On an afternoon bike ride on a dirt road, Estabrook is raped by two men in an enigmatic van. Having trouble with forgetting the incident, Estabrook takes comfort in photography and working at a homeless shelter where she meets Bobbie Crocker. When Crocker passes, Estabrook looks into his secret collection of photography, which tells her that their pasts collide in a shocking way.

Although set in the 21st century, the author references the roaring twenties and Jay Gatsby more than often; this is a significant piece to the never ending puzzle.

The lengthy novel, although written well, was a slow read and at left me both on and off my toes at times.

It is obvious that Bohjalian thought The Double Blind out thoroughly and that shows through. The vivid description of all things that go on throughout the novel is astounding. If you like a novel that touches into our time period, yet connects to 40 years ago and also keeps you on your feet, this is a must read for you.