Review: Split scares even the bravest

The horror film

Permission Aly Gray

The horror film "Split" leaves it's audience with fear, confusion, and awe.

Kelly McCann, Staff writer

I’ve always had a horror movie obsession. After seeing what seems to be every horror movie on Netflix and Fios on Demand, I was starting to think I couldn’t feel fear anymore. After seeing what others consider a terrifying film, I can sleep perfectly at night with no nightmares and drive home by myself without the feeling of being followed. That is until I saw “Split” which continues to haunt me with its twisted characters and intensity.

Because of my love for scary movies, I was extremely excited to see “Split”. Directed by M. Night Shyamalan, the film is rated PG-13 and falls under the thriller/ horror category. Unlike most horror movies, there is no paranormal phenomenon in it, which I appreciate because it’s more uncommon for the genre.

The main character, Kevin (played by James McAvoy), suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder holding 23 different personalities within his body, such as the fashion designer Barry and a nine year old boy named Hedwig. Some of his identities have an evil mindset, making him kidnap three teenage girls and then hold them hostage in a hidden location.

The movie’s plot consists of the girls trying to escape their confines while figuring out his different personalities and weaknesses. Little do they know, a 24th, almost unhuman personality is developing which sets this movie off.

This movie made me feel real fear for the first time in a long time. My heart rate seemed unhealthy it was beating so fast. I had to call a friend driving home that night to ease my nerves.

McAvoy as Kevin and Anna Taylor-Joy as Casey, play their roles extremely well with convincing emotions and conflicts. Taylor-Joy’s fear felt real and it was contagious, as if the plot is an actual event going on in her real life. McAvoy is a stunning actor, being able to handle 24 different voices and personalities throughout the movie.

Not only do the actors make the film intriguing to watch, the music throughout the movie adds to the creep-factor. The music is so simple but something about it has such an unsettling tone, with a different approach than many other horror flicks. It sounds like something you would hear when you open an old music box.

This movie is officially one of my favorites. It is something I would undoubtedly recommend for scary movie fanatics.