Blake helps girls’ lacrosse shoot for success

Photo Rebecca Poretsky

Sophomore goalie Erin Blake stands reading the field, waiting to block the next ball.

Ruth Ricciuti, Staff Writer

The girls’ lacrosse team has high hopes for the upcoming season, with their confidence in the team’s compatibility and the skill of their goalie, sophomore Erin Blake.

The team’s record is currently tied at 5-5, but because five of their games were non-league games their record in their league is 3-2.

“We have a really great chemistry as a team which has been really crucial on the field this season,” senior captain Nicole Kelly said. “We’re really focusing on communicating well this year in order to be successful.”

Blake began playing goalie for the varsity team her freshman year, despite only learning the sport in eighth grade.

“I played field hockey goalie, and they needed a lacrosse goalie so someone asked me and I said alright, I’d do it,” Blake said.

Although the goalie position is often overlooked, it comes with many unexpected challenges.

“Physically it’s easier than playing on the field, but mentally it’s a very difficult position to play,” Blake said. “It’s taken me [three years] to really develop the mental toughness it takes to play well.”

To be a successful goalie, you have to be able to shake off a goal and be ready and confident to save the next shot,” coach Vanessa Larareo said. “Erin doesn’t let the goals she lets in get in her head; she instead uses it as motivation to get the next one.”

According to Blake, being a goalie comes with a unique responsibility because she is the only one who can view the whole field.

“I think it gives you a sort of leadership position, which is interesting because you have to play the role even though you’re the last line of defense,” Blake said.

Blake’s captains agree she plays the role well, and her impact on the team’s success is clear.

“[Erin] has a really good read on the field; you can always hear her telling us where the ball is and where we need to be for defense, senior captain Kelley Morin said.

I played goalie for one youth practice, and let’s just say I have the utmost respect for anyone who plays that position,” senior captain Jessie DeLouis said.

Blake is also recognized by her coach and captains as having a notable influence on her teammates.

“Erin proceeds to come to practice and games each day with a smile on her face as she hops in net,” DeLouis said.

“Erin is the most positive, encouraging, supportive person on the field,” Larareo said. “Her teammates look to her for motivation and support and know they can always count on her to help keep the team upbeat.”

With this in mind, the team is motivated and ready for the challenges to come.

“We’ve definitely had and will have some tough matchups this year, but we’re really looking forward to those games to challenge ourselves and show what we can do,” Kelly said.