Faculty Friday: Seth Czarnecki

Jasmine Cai, Staff Writer

What do you think would be the most interesting book to teach, and what deeper meaning do you want to convey to your students from it?

“One of the books I would like to teach is called ‘Waiting For The Barbarians’ by J.M. Coetzee. He is a South African author and the book talks about the idea of an empire and what empires do when faced with “others.” It talks about stereotypes and prejudice. One of my all time favorites.”

Do you have a special talent?

“I don’t really have a special talent. People don’t realize that I am a 30 year old man who’s fun is like the fun of fifty year olds. Things like sitting on the porch and drinking coffee is fun to me.”

What do you think you’re best known for by your friends?

“Once again, I tend to be an old man. I don’t like staying up late, no large crowds, and no loud noises. I’ve been like this my whole life, even as a teenager. It’s kind of unfortunate, really.”

Do you feel like the amount of slang and common language teachers use has grown too much? Why?

“No, actually. I love the metaphors at the core of slang. One of my favorite slang words is for people who are muscular and it’s called being ‘yolked.’ I love the colloquialism.”

How did you feel after your students threw you a birthday party?

“I felt very overwhelmed and I felt that I have never done anything in my life to deserve such a thing. Overall undeserving but very thankful.”