Students get down to business in Algonquin Business Concentration program

Graphic Carey Davis

The ABC program was designed in 2014 by Michele Tontodonato to benefit students interested in business.

Mia McAuliffe, Staff Writer

Students of all grade levels are participating in the Algonquin Business Concentration program to increase their interest in business and get a good foundation of knowledge about all types of business through project-based learning.

Former Head of Applied Arts and Technology Michele Tontodonato created the Algonquin Business Concentration (ABC) program in 2014 to help students interested in business stand out to colleges.

“It gives the students a plan for what business courses to take and they can figure that out and roll with it,” Tontodonato said. “They can take what interests them but then we showcase it for the colleges that they apply to. They also get recognition for it.”

By meeting the program’s requirements, students can graduate with a certificate in business.

“How it works is that you get three levels of business classes, A, B and C. That’s how they’re segregated,” junior and student in the ABC program Jake DeMarco said. “Once you actually complete them, and you finish the program and when they have the [senior] awards night, that’s when you get introduced in.”

Having that ability to explore the different types of business is a big thing about the ABC program that really makes it stand out.

— Senior Jordan Yung

The program is offered to anyone who takes a business class. Students must take a minimum of 5 business classes over the course of their high school career to complete the ABC program.

“[To sign up for the program] you just fill a little form with your name, saying you’re interested,” Pappas said. “But you’re not committed. Typically, we talk to our students about it freshman year and let them know about the program.”

Once a student is in the program, they are offered a wide selection of business classes that could be of interest to them.

Senior Jordan Yung has been in the program since her sophomore year and has had a great experience in the ABC program.

“I think because we have such a well developed applied art and technology program here, there’s so many different classes you can take,” Yung said. “Having that ability to explore the different types of business is a big thing about the ABC program that really makes it stand out.”

Students interested in business are encouraged to become involved with extracurricular activities like DECA as well as the ABC program.  

“A lot of kids that are in the ABC program do DECA because it’s another way to enhance their business skills and knowledge, although it is not a requirement,” said Business Education teacher Patricia Riley. “In the end, it’s all business.”

Students in the ABC program have been very successful and the program is always looking for more students to join.

“It’s not like a club like NHS where you have to have a formal application or you have to fit any standards,” DeMarco said. “You’re not completing the classes because you want to get into college, you’re just doing it because you enjoy these classes, and your hard work in them has thus granted you an award.”

Students of all grade levels are participating in the Algonquin Business Concentration program to increase their interest in business and set a good foundation of knowledge about all types of business through project-based learning.

“It gives the students a plan for what business courses to take and they can figure that out and roll with it,” Tontodonato said. “They can take what interests them but then we showcase it for the colleges that they apply to.”